Boy am I glad the Halloween season is almost over - it seems everywhere I turn there are new scary ads for the latest thrasher movie that I have no desire to see. But it got me thinking, what scares me? Nothing too deep or serious, since the spirit of Halloween scares seem to be surface-level (think fear of clowns versus contemplating one's own mortality!) My impromptu list...
1. Balloons. Hate. Them! If you would like to see me have a complete panic attack, bring me a balloon!
2. Scary movies...as in anything with blood! I don't understand the draw of thrasher or psychological thrillers - I'll take a comedy any day!!
3. Touchy-feely people (and close-talkers). Blame it on my east coast upbringing, but I'm just not a touchy-feely person! I don't do long hugs, I like my personal bubble...I guess this isn't something I'm scared about, necessarily...but maybe a little! (The only people this doesn't include are my husband and kiddo!!)
4. The woods at night. Gives you chills, doesn't it?! I don't mind camping, but as a child, growing up surrounded by woods, I was convinced there were bears and coyotes just beyond the trees - yikes!
5. Pet birds (and cats too!!) EEEP!!! I don't mind birds in the wild, but parakeets, blech!! I think it's due to my best friend's bird that bit me on the ear and didn't let go (the bird, by the way, is still alive - sheesh those things live forever!!) Same goes for cats - she had a cat that bit and scratched - it's taken me years to get over that one (ok, still clearly not over it!)
6. Needles. True story: at 13 years of age, in front of my sister and best friend, I basically climbed up and over my mother trying to get away from the nurse trying to give me a shot. My mom had brought said friend and sister so that I would "play it cool"...no dice, cool goes out the window when it comes to me and needles!
...a little look into my spooky head! What scares you?!