Friday, June 4, 2010

Fancy crafty shakers...

Ella loves shaking things recently - shaking her head, shaking her arms, and especially shaking things that make noise.  So today I decided to fancy up some old medicine and spice bottles I had been saving for this very reason!  This is a great way to recycle old containers as well as fabric scraps, ribbons, and such that you may have lying around.  All you need is a hot glue gun, something to make noise (I used different sized beans and rice), and some scissors.

Step one: Gather your supplies...


This is a good time to whip out all that ribbon you have lying around or any ribbon you have saved from presents you have received in the past (come now, I must not be the only person who saves my ribbon!)


Along with fabric scraps, I also chose to add some lace from my grandmother's (extensive) collection - it gives the bottles both an extra fancy touch, as well as different textures.

 

Different sizes of dry goods make different noises - I used rice, black beans and sesame seeds.


Step two: Fill your bottles...


Step 3: Decorate!!!


Step four: Find a little one to appreciate your masterpieces...

I had fun making them; Ella had fun shaking them!!!

3 comments:

Pat said...

You are truly amazing. I love the colors, textures and photos!

gb said...

so very cool baby cakes....

Thomasin said...

Ah-hah! Thank you for the inspiration. We'd made shakers for my first baby from Rx bottles, but I'd just tossed in some rice/beans and called it good. I never thought to DECORATE the poor things. These are lovely. :-D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails