Thursday, May 27, 2010

Another year, a perfect day

Today I turned another page in life...and the day couldn't be more perfect!  Ella gave me jellybeans for breakfast, a new friend called me, and dinner was highlighted by three tasty cupcakes.  In between I gave myself a present - I did no laundry, no dishes, no other necessary chores.  Instead Ella and I took to the streets and surrounded ourselves with greenery - we sniffed herbs and inspected leaves.  We spent hours choosing wisely and brought our bounty home to plant. 


When we got home Ella and I started in on our work and finished the front before Ella ran out of steam, but she was such a trooper today, I couldn't fault her.  After Ella was securely slumbering in bed I went out to the porch to plant the rest of our goods.  We have sage, thyme, oregano, cilantro, parsley, lavender, two types of basil, hot peppers, sweet banana peppers and two tomato plants, as well as some geraniums and succulents to add a dash of color. 


It was quiet on the porch and I listened to The Postal Service as my hands kept busy.  The sun was setting and the air was comfortably cool.  The president flew overhead (really, he did!)...I stopped and watched the three large military helicopters rumble by, the following quiet even more profound in their absence.  My neighbors called to each other, someone started a grill, a baby cried and was comforted, and I continued to plant. 


Soon it was time to go in, but in those quiet moments, all was right in the world, and I was happy to bear witness.  What a perfect day...

1 comment:

green tea and red nails said...

sounds like a lovely day :)your herb garden is looking great! i manages to kill all mine.. oops!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails