Thursday, February 17, 2011

Flipping through...

My favorite kind of reading!!

When I was pregnant, I thought that I'd have time to read once the baby came...and while I did have time (when she was younger and non-mobile), the reading bug never bit, at least not for books.  I do well with short stories, but anything longer just hasn't held my interest, so these days I read a lot of magazines.  And here's the big secret...I love it.  I love that I can read just a little, leave it for hours (days, weeks) and then come back whenever I can or want.  There is something about reading a magazine that feels downright luxurious to me!!  I thought I'd share some of my current favorite magazines, so that perhaps you'll feel the love too!



I found this nifty magazine at the Renegade Craft Fair about 3 years ago.  The down side is that they only publish every-other month.  It's full of all sorts of neat DIYs and fabulous ideas - when I'm done with each issue it's basically totally dog-eared, pages ripped out, ideas circled.  

 

I think the first time I learned about this magazine I was actually reading one of my favorite blogs, Smile and Wave and saw it in one of the pictures.  I think it's fairly obvious what this magazine is about - what I like is that it includes some intermediate and expert along with the more managable beginner projects!  What's more, this is the type of magazine that will get you thinking so that ultimately you come up with your own project!






I have been reading this magazine for years and years (truely!)  Ben subscribed for me as a sweet gesture several years ago and must have put it on automatic renewal because I've received the magazine ever since!  The organization and clothing-basics articles are helpful, but I really go back for the recipes (even better, all of the recipes from the magazine are found online at no charge - woot woot!!) 


My favorite recipe (link above) is Linguine with Squash, Bacon and Goat Cheese. My only changes are that I use cows-milk feta cheese instead (and a whole LOT of it) and use a full package of bacon - yummmm!!!



To be honest, I have no idea why I am receiving this magazine.  I didn't subscribe and neither did anyone I've asked, but I'm not complaining!  I was never a Martha reader and was surprised when it came in the mail a couple of months ago - I thought it was a sample issue until I received another issue the following month.  That Martha - love her or hate her, I think this magazine is pretty great.  Her focus on gardening is especially helpful as each year I do my best to get a deeper hue of green on my thumb (it's getting there!) 



In the current issue there is a fun article all about cross stitch, which may be enough for me to pick up a couple of my own stitching projects that I've been working on for the past couple of months (*cough years cough*)



Here's what I like about Bust - it brings together SO many things that I am interested in - from fashion to social action, they manage to weave it all together so seamlessly!  This magazine is sassy and not for the faint-of-heart (you've been warned), but sooo worth the read!  Love love love!!


So what are your favorite magazines?  What am I missing??  I'd love to know!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails