Monday, January 17, 2011

(kale) Chips!

Winter is here and if you participate in CSA or choose to buy only seasonal fruits and vegetables, the food doldrums are starting to set in.  There is only so much one can do with oranges...or root vegetables...or worst of all, kale.  But fear not!  I have a tasty, if not all together sexy looking, recipe for you that is relatively fast, very easy, and certifiably delicious!!  So brush off that kale and lets get started...

Kale is a dark leafy green that can, at first glance, be a bit daunting.  But like many leafy greens, with a little garlic and olive oil, you have sauteed yumminess (and it's healthy to boot!)  There is, however, a limit to the amount of sauteed veggies one can consume, so for a tasty snack I routinely turn to kale chips!

First, wash off your kale (this should be a given!) 
Preheat your oven to 300F degrees.

Next rip the leaves into bite-sized pieces and discard the stem.

Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with salt -
I prefer sea salt or kosher salt, 
but table salt will work in a pinch (no pun intended!)

Pop in the oven and cook for 30-40 minutes.  
I like to leave mine in for the whole 40 minutes
so that I can ensure crispiness.

Take out and enjoy!  You can store these in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a few days...that is, if you don't eat them all right away!!

I hope you enjoy this treat as much as I do - and hey, think about how much better this is for you than traditional chips - yummm!!!  What tricks do you have for dealing with repetitive winter veggies?

2 comments:

Danielle said...

I made them yesterday and they were loved by all, including little Ewan.

Though I have to say, when the heartburn kicked in later in the evening (as it always does) I was not happy with my choice to consume as many kale chips as I had. Kale heartburn, not yummy. Not at all.

Julia @ Natural Parents Network said...

I love kale chips! They are SO delicious. I wasn't quite sure what to expect the first time I made them and was blown away by how utterly delicious they were!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails